Gun Crimes Defense With a San Diego Criminal Lawyer
California has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. These laws make it difficult to own a gun and set restrictions on those who legally own guns. In addition, state law provides severe penalties for the illegal use of firearms. Due to the number of laws that apply to gun owners, you should consult with an San Diego criminal lawyer if you have been charged with a gun crime.
Owning a Firearm Laws Explained by a San Diego Criminal Lawyer
Adults may generally buy a gun without a license. In these cases, you can keep the gun at home, place of business, or carry it around in a locked case. However, certain categories of people are prohibited from owning a gun completely. An San Diego criminal attorney can explain that these individuals may include:
- Convicted felons
- Drug addicts
- Individuals suffering from a mental illness
Types of Gun Crimes
Some common gun crimes that a San Diego criminal attorney can assist you include:
- Possession. If you fall within a category of persons prohibited from carrying a firearm, you will need an San Diego criminal lawyer to defend against the charge of possessing a firearm.
- Carrying a Firearm in Public. Even if you legally possess the weapon, you may be prohibited from carrying the gun in public or carrying a concealed weapon.
- Specific Places. California laws generally make it illegal to carry a firearm in certain places such as schools, government buildings, airports, and places of public transportation.
In addition to these criminal charges relating to possessing a firearm, a San Diego criminal lawyer can also assist you with criminal charges relating to the use of a firearm including:
- Brandishing the weapon in a threatening way
- Inflicting harm with the firearm
- Using an automatic weapon
- Assaulting someone with the firearm
These are just some common gun crimes. To learn more about your specific case, you will want to talk to a San Diego criminal attorney.
Contact a San Diego Criminal Lawyer
If you need assistance with a gun crimes charge, contact San Diego criminal lawyer James V. Hairgrove at 619-667-3743. Gun crimes are very fact-specific and you will want to schedule a consultation to discuss the details of your case.